It’s officially soup season!!!
This creamy butternut squash soup from The Hidden Veggies is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut free – but oh so delicious (and easy to make)!
Ingredients (Serving Size: 8)
- 1 large butternut squash or about 4 cups squash cubed
- 1 TBSP olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sage or poultry seasoning
- 3-4 c water (or vegetable broth if not using a bouillon cube)
- 1 Not Chick’n bullion cube
- 1.5 c plain soy milk or plant based milk (or can of coconut milk for extra rich and creamy soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c vegan sour cream for swirling on top (or regular if not doing vegan)
- Precook squash to soften. (Place in oven at 300°F (150°C) for 30 min. Or cook in an instant pot on steam for 8 minutes)
- Peel and cut the squash into about 1-inch cubes.
- Dice onion and sauté on low heat in the saucepan in the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and herbs and sauté slowly until translucent.
- Add the water and broth cube (or vegetable broth) and the diced squash. (Use just enough broth to barely cover the squash).
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the squash is very soft. (This will vary depending on how much you precooked the squash and the size of the cubes that you cut it into).
- Add plant-based milk of choice like plain soy milk or a can of coconut milk.
- Puree with an immersion blender until very smooth and creamy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with vegan sour cream and fresh ground pepper. (optional)